Sunday, March 21, 2010

What is Internet Archive?

A fabulous place for finding all sorts of resources for teaching and learning is Internet Archive. It is a non-profit library of websites and artefacts that have been digitalised. All the materials are free to access, and most are free to share and re-distribute - it is worth checking the licence to a resource to check exactly how you can re-use it.

Internet Archive stores materials such as podcasts, videos, music and books. You can find web pages that no longer exist in 'The Wayback Machine'. There is even an archive of live music concerts.

My favourite section of Internet Archive is 'Moving Images'. I have found some wonderful education films that were made in the 50s and 60s that make a great foundation for class discussion, such as these two films about sex education that were made in the 1950s.

I also use Internet Archive to store my own digital materials. For example, I store evidence of achievements which I then link to my ePortfolio.

The only caveat to this is to be prepared to spend a lot of time browsing around this web site - it is addictive!


Do you have any favourite web site that you use for accessing teaching and learning resources?

No comments: